Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cool Guys Read

My goal with this blog is to point out that reading is cool. Not only that, I especially want guys to understand that it's the cool guys who read.

This is a picture from about 100 years ago. I’m standing with my brothers in front of just one of the bookcases in my father’s study. He wrote over 70 books, but I didn’t think it was cool to read back then, so I didn't. I’m the one on the left. But my oldest brother, Donn – the guy on the right – read like a mad man.

We always teased him about that, and taunted him for not going outside with the rest of us to play football, basketball, play cops & robbers, or any number of things.

“No,” he’d say, “I’d rather read.”

What a loser I thought back then. But I was wrong. See, life is a funny thing sometimes. The guys we thought were the coolest when we were kids, well, they turned out not to go very far in life. And the guys we thought of as the geeks, now there are the ones who became successful.

How do you think men become doctors, professors, scientist, attorneys, and more? They read a lot.

So don't listen to other people who call you names or tease you about reading. My brother Donn is one of the most well informed people I know, and he got that way from reading…a LOT.

Remember, Readers are the leaders others follow.

Max Elliot Anderson

PS. I’d be interested in guys you know about, it might even be you, who are cool because they're guys who read.

No comments:

Post a Comment